Asparagus is a nutrient-packed vegetable. It is a very good source of fibre, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells.
So this is a flavourful side dish featuring seasonal asparagus and new potatoes. Salty potatoes paired with the subtle sweetness from the asparagus and balsamic vinegar make this utterly moreish! Serves 4.
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1kg new potatoes (such as Jersey Royal or another small waxy variety), cut into quarters
- 250g asparagus tips, cut in half
- A generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- In a large roasting tin, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. Add the potatoes and toss to coat fully before roasting for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the asparagus with a little extra olive oil, if needed. Toss to coat and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Season with extra balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Credit: Aimee Ryan for Wallflower Kitchen Copyright: The Vegan Society, 2018